xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: A Yearly Remembrance of Being Married

Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Yearly Remembrance of Being Married

Our anniversary has rolled around again, as it tends to do. Here are some highlights;


  • While leaving the Total Wine store (which is an awesome warehouse type store of beverages), I passed a woman coming in. She was dressed quite nicely, high heels and pearls. She walked in and stopped for a minute. Then she grabbed a cart and said tiredly under her breath "I'm gonna need one of these." Work week's over, my friend. Grab a cart.
  • I got behind a guy at the checkout in Publix. He had on those popular preppy shorts and designs on them. I think he had coral shorts with navy seahorses. He was wearing a polo shirt and had on boat shoes and one of those hairstyles meant to look casual and windblown but actually take 45 minutes and a good deal of gel to pull off. He was obviously cool. He knew it and I knew it. Unfortunately, the cashier didn't seem to realize this caste system fact. He rang up the guy's chips and salsa and started making small talk:
                    "Ah, a little chip and dip action tonight?"
                    "Um...yeah. I guess."
                    "Have you ever tried buffalo dip? Oh man. Blow. Your. Mind."
                    "No, I haven't."

          The cool guy was obviously uncomfortable, probably most with the phrase 'chip and dip action.'
          Didn't the cashier see the seahorse shorts? He's too cool for that sort of small talk. C'mon, man.
          Use your brain.

         Then he scans my ice cream and pop and asked if I'm making floats. I told him I don't do that sort of            thing. He asked if I was celebrating any anything and I said it's my anniversary weekend. He asked                how long (12 years) and said when he was in high school (which, by the looks of him, was yesterday),          he celebrated anniversaries like 3 months with his girlfriend. He asked if we did that. I said no, at this            point we're on to decades.

        "Happy 2nd decade to you."
        "Hey thanks. You too."

        Things like that.
  • We floated in the pool yesterday and Matt put one of the tv speakers out the porch window so we could listen to music. Later that evening, we ate sushi and watched a movie. A very funny movie but somewhat risque and with a lot of bad language. Later that evening, Matt noticed the speaker was still outside. Sorry about that neighbors.
I told Matt that it was on this day 12 years ago he was holding my dress so I could pee. Let me explain this one. I kept my dress on after the wedding while we drove to our honeymoon hotel. I paid for it and it was pretty and I was going to wear it as long as I could. We pulled into a gas station and I had to pee but my dress was pretty fluffy. I told Matt he had to come into the bathroom and hold up my dress. He said he couldn't do that. It made him uncomfortable. Too bad, buddy boy. So he went in and held my dress and turned his head to this side. Sheesh. 

There was no one in the store when we went in. 30 seconds later we leave the restroom and a field trip of about 20 kids and a couple adults is waiting to use the bathroom. All eyes were on us as I floated past them in my fluffy cloud dress and flip flops. After we get in the car, Matt is blushing slightly and states "You know what they thought? They thought we couldn't wait until the hotel room."

No wonder they were glaring.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Jess that story is hilarious. I bet they really did think you couldn't wait. LOL Why did Matt turn his head? I mean you guys were married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure. He was a pretty conservative guy and not experienced with women or intimate things. I think it just embarrassed him. Pretty funny now.

    ReplyDelete