xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Cake and Waffles

Monday, December 16, 2013

Cake and Waffles

Today Talitha turned two. It's a momentous day in our family, most likely the first birthday for her that has been celebrated and her initiation into a presents and cake and togetherness that is birthdays.

She has transitioned so well into our family that sometimes I quite forget that she hasn't been here from the beginning. The other day I mused about the fact that Matt and I are brunette and yet all of our kids are blond and I completely forgot that Tali was Chinese. The funny thing is, I think she favors Kate. Little and flexible with Elfin ears. She's the Asian Katie.

Sadly, Matt had to leave yesterday for training so Tali's party was sans Daddy. I made Lo Mein and Honey Sesame Chicken and never did I miss Matt more than when Tali and Noah were each grabbing onto a leg, screaming and crying while I stirred the vegetables. I struggled my way over to the fridge and pulled the ketchup bottle out of the door. That's when I realized that the bottle of caramel ice cream topping had spilled. All over the shelf. On all the bottles, dripping down the back and sides of the fridge door. While the screaming toddlers competed over who could wail the loudest despite roiling bubbles of snot on their faces.

Complete and utter despair of the soul.

The birthday dinner was quite nice. My parents came early and Dad immediately began wrestling with the toddlers while my mom passed out tiny chocolate muffins. It was like Ed McMahon passing out checks.

Matt's parents and my older sister and her fiance came as well. It was wonderful. The food turned out ok, despite my offsprings' best attempts to thwart it. We lit the candle and sang happy birthday and immediately Tali stuck out her lip to cry. I really think the whole thing scared her. I'm sure it was her first time experiencing the whole birthday thing. Which is rather odd, to be sure. A whole bunch of people encircle you, singing in unison, while we place a lit stick of wax in your face.

Face of confusion and terror. The big siblings stepped in to provide comfort. Out the the view of the camera, Noah is staring at the cake and thinking "Shut up with all the singing and serve me, peasants."

 The gifts were a huge hit with the little ones. Noah unwrapped Tali's presents with enthusiasm and cried "Mine!" repeatedly while she admired the Christmas tree lights. I think he's suddenly happy to have Talitha as a sister. His birthday is in July, hers in December. Every 6 months, Noah gets presents - hooray!

She's super serious when she eats. Really - don't bother her when food is involved.




Birthday waffles! Again, no smiling with the food.




Katie was sad that her cupcake didn't have a lot of frosting. Complete despair of the soul.


I let Noah sleep with me last night since Matt was gone. Then Tali wandered in with her little lovey blanket (thanks Deb!) so she got into bed. The big kids came in and we all hugged Tali and said happy birthday. Jack and Kate sang a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday Dear Talicakes!" and we had waffles. I kept trying to get pictures of Tali and her gifts but she doesn't stop moving so most of them are a blur. I had a little birthday playdate with my two friends and their kids. We finished off the day with baths and a chapter of Secret Garden.

Happy Birthday, sweet little Miss Talicakes. I hope you sleep well tonight, in your own crib surrounded by dolls and handmade blankets - with a peace in your soul that you belong to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment