xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Random Ramblings

Monday, December 30, 2013

Random Ramblings

A Romp in the Holly

A couple days ago, we were heading out to door to go to the store when I fell. No particular reason, my ankle was just feeling snarky I suppose. Right into the bushes. I was holding Talitha but thankfully I have experience with that particular type of falling. So she pretty much stayed upright and I faceplanted into the holly. Kate screamed like she was in a haunted house (there is a slight chance she is over dramatic). Jack, to his credit, scurried right over to ask me if I was ok and to take Tali from me. Noah was most likely estimating the distance to the road and plotting his escape. I pulled a sprig of holly from my hair. Like I was about to grab a mug of wassail and go a-caroling. Perhaps sprig is not quite the right word - a small branch is more like it. And it was pretty tangled. I fought to get that thing out, bits of bark flying everywhere, neighbors rubbernecking as they slowly drove by the house. I got up and brushed the sand and the last remaining shreds of dignity off me and marched myself off to the store where class is out of place anyway.

Random Texts

Yesterday I got a text that read "We're heading to Orlando to get away from it all and we're going to stop by Ikea. Do you want me to pick up anything for you? Look at the website and send me a list." I didn't recognize the number so I replied "I do enjoy things from Ikea and while I appreciate your offer, the fact that I don't know who this is is somewhat creepy."

(Here I'm thinking it's my sister's fiance. He loves both Ikea and messing with me.)

"This is Nancy."

"Nancy?"

"Nancy (Last Name). Don't you remember, you were at my house yesterday?"

"At this point, I am convinced this is the wrong number. I spent yesterday eating truffles and wallowing in self-pity."

"Isn't this Robert? Tatiyana's husband?"

"No. But I do wish my name was Tatiyana if that helps."

"Sorry about this. Are you in Jacksonville (based on area code)? We live in Mandarin."

"We're outside of the city a bit. Hey, you could stop by on your way home from Orlando. I'll make scones and we can have tea and you can show me all the pretty things you bought me."

"Haha. I like your sense of humor. You're funny."

"Thank you. So...about my list..."

A Hat Fit for a Kid

At a recent garage sale, I found a John Deere baseball hat and picked it up for $.25. Being the financially responsible (eh, cheap) parents we are, I set it aside for use in Jack's Christmas stocking. He was thrilled and wore it to my parents' house later that day. An astute adult noted that it's not actually a John Deere hat. It's green with a yellow tractor. On closer inspection, it says "Kenny Chesney" under the tractor. Turn the hat around and there's another revelation. In curving letters is the saying "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy."

On an 8 year old head.

So now I'm thinking of taking a Sharpie to it.

"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy Fuel Efficient."


No comments:

Post a Comment