xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Mysterious Benedict Society

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mysterious Benedict Society

The kids and I are really enjoying our current read aloud - The Mysterious Benedict Society. I read it years ago but Jack and Kate are finally at ages that they can appreciate this book. It's actually part of a trilogy and I plan on getting the boxed set at some point to finish it.

The basic premise is that Mr. Benedict has formed a team of gifted and skilled children to help him combat a nefarious global plan. To join the team, the children must pass a series of tests. The reader gets to solve the puzzles along with the characters. After joining the team, the children, lead by the aptly named Mr. Benedict and his quirky adult sidekicks, are sent on the dangerous mission. It's your basic good vs evil, save the world book. Except with fantastically gifted kids.

Fun, right?

What I love about this book, besides the thinkiness, is the characters. There are so many wonderful kids books that feature characters that are kind and brave and full of ingenuity. These are the books I want to read - to make my kids think, to savor good writing line by line.  My hope for my own children is that they are thoughtful in their actions, especially to others, and they have a firm sense of who they are in this great big world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment