xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Adoption Update

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Adoption Update

We had our first homestudy visit the other night. It was a little nerve racking, like a first date but without anyone buying me food. I spent the day cleaning and taking Jack's temperature (he had a bit of a fever all day.)  Twenty minutes before the scheduled time I received a phone call from the case worker:

Her: "I'm earlier than expected. Is that ok?"
Me: "Sure, no problem."

This was said nonchalantly, almost breezily. Then I hung up the phone and sprinted to the bedroom, causing Kate mild alarm. I had planned on using the last twenty minutes to make myself look presentable. It's my good fortune that I was already wearing nice clothes. And by nice I mean non-pajama.

I had a small crisis - to put on makeup or straighten my hair? I usually only wear makeup two days a week, the day I work and Sunday (if I work on a Sunday, well then, my make up time is cut in half.)  Or for a special occasion, like buy one get one free with coupons at Publix. Of course, it seems to do me little good. I had a coworker tell me that I'd look really pretty with some makeup. After a beat, I narrowed my eyelinered eyes and said "I am." I'm not good at applying makeup and generally go very light because I'm terrified of looking like a raccoon. On a corner.

So I decided to straighten my hair instead, periodically calling out last minute advice to the kids like "If she speaks to you, answer politely" and "Please don't talk about your colon, Jack."

The bright spot to her coming early was that we were just finishing up dinner. It was baked eggplant and steamed broccoli. If she saw it, it would save me the trouble of having to prompt the children to talk about their vegetable-laden meal. "What's that on your shirt, Kate?" "Oh, that's just the organic broccoli mom. No pesticides for kids in this family!"

She was very kind and sweet and even though she told us not to worry if she scribbled notes, I still did. Before bed I laid awake imagining her notes:

'What's that smell? Diapers? Socks? The acrid stench of fear?

Or:

'Is this a joke, Susan? Because it's not funny. These people can't be trusted with an electric can opener. I'm so getting you back for this on Monday.'

During the interview, she asked us how we handled conflict. In his answer, Matt said something to the effect of us both agreeing that he's the head of the house, even though we tend to decide things together. I told him later that it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time, I might have choked. He wagged a finger at me and sternly declared "I make the rules here." Then I had to rush over and hug him because he knows that whenever he tries to be authoritative, it's so adorable I can hardly stand it.

After the interview we gave a tour of the house and oh my goodness hooray for nightfall.

It was the best cleaning I could do with a toddler and a 7 year old who looked up at me with soulful sad eyes whenever I even hinted at cleaning. "But mother, my rheum..." Not to be left out, Kate would quickly stop her joyous jumping whenever I looked her way. "I'm starting to have a sickness."

There was a little apprehension of the tour, like maybe I had completely overlooked an entire room or there would a line of roaches somewhere. Most of it was presentable, though.

"This is our meditation room and this is the foyer where we discuss our hopes and dreams and NO, DON'T OPEN THE CLOSET!"

The whole thing was actually a very pleasant experience. We got to hear all about our case worker's current adoption from Haiti and the mission work she does and hopes to expand someday. Amazing, encouraging stuff. We talked excitedly after she left of everything that is and could be.

At the end of the night, we were one step closer to our little girl. And thank God for His grace and goodness that stretches farther than we could see or imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment