xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Picture Books We Love

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Picture Books We Love

Some recent books we've enjoyed:


This book is pretty awesome. Plus, it written by a Frenchman, so it makes me feel all worldly and exotic. I bought it for Noah for his birthday, but the older kids hog it quite a bit. Very original, simple and fun. When Noah gets it, he opens it to the front cover (it has a black background with primary colored dots all over it) and he looks at it and says "Oh!" in a high-pitched baby voice. Sometimes I plant the book in his way so he'll see it and open it.





Few children's books make me laugh out loud (aloud?) but this one does. The illustrations are soft and clean, the story is funny. Katie got this from her Grandma and asked to read it all the time with variations to the title - "Can we read 'Where is my Hat?" or "The Hat" or "Who Has My Hat?"








I got this book from my sister-in-law for my birthday. It does have the word 'jackass' in the end, because the other character is a donkey. So if I read it to the kids (which they ask for often), I just say the word donkey. Words like that can easily be explained by "It means this but it's become a not-so-nice word in our society so we just don't say it." The kids readily accept it when they overhear a word in the grocery store or we read books like Tom Sawyer or something. This is a really cute book and I love the premise of it.



That's all the new books I can think of that we've read recently. Kate's not feeling well this morning so I have movies and books planned instead of school. She lounged around all morning then threw up and promptly feel asleep on the couch. I tend to dismiss their claims of sickness, especially when it coincides with being asked to empty the dishwasher. Throwing up validates it. When I was a kid, my mom told us we had to go to school unless we were throwing up. If we did throw up, she'd say "Don't you feel better now? Get to school."

Movies and books and Pooh Bear snuggled on the couch. That's our Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment