xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Random Ramblings

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Random Ramblings

Yes, another edition of Random Ramblings.

Kid Cereal

Jack and Kate often have heated exchanges concerning food, he being of the opinion that food should be healthy and good for your heart; she being of the opinion that everything else just tastes better.

Nowhere are these exchanges more vehement than at the grocery store. The other day we went to the juice aisle (which is also the candy aisle) and Katie picked up a bag of candy and held it rapturously to herself and exclaimed "This is my favorite!" Jack scowled and said "Katie, you know I'm going to be a cardiologist, you're just teasing me." You can see how she would enjoy poking a little fun at him.

Then we moseyed over to the cereal aisle. Some of you may know my prerequisites for cereal (see this post) so my kids don't whine much for cereal. Jack said "Why do they put the kid cereal that's full of sugar on the bottom shelves and the healthy adult cereal at the top?" I told him so the kids could see all the kid cereal. Jack said "But that's going to make them want it."

Exactly. This is one of the great things about being with your kids so much. They are with me on every shopping trip (it's nausea-inducing awful sometimes), but we also gets lots of time to discuss. We talk about the marketing and the insane amount of money companies spend for packaging, advertising, location of products, etc. We look at the nutrition labels and cost per ounce. We weigh produce and decide what to get based on season. They line up like little soldiers to load and unload the groceries at every step. One cashier even commented that I hadn't put the baby to work yet. Give him time.

Poptarts

Speaking of children's breakfast foods, Poptarts are another one of those foods I'm a little strict about. The kids used to ask for Poptarts, after seeing them in the cereal aisle, so last year we put them in their Christmas stockings. Bliss, pure bliss.

This year we did the same thing. I noticed on Christmas morning, as we were setting the stockings up, that they weren't even Poptarts. I had just automatically bought the generic version. They're Wal-tarts.

Christmas Day Matt was talking to his Dad and his Dad mentioned that our niece and nephew (9 and 7) had each opened up Ipads for Christmas. I called out "Did you tell him we got our kids Poptarts?" Thank goodness we didn't celebrate Christmas together. Our kids would be sorely put-out.

To show you how happy our kids are with sugary breakfast food, here is a picture my sister took of Katie opening up a box of Christmas Captain Crunch at our Christmas Eve party. She literally squealed with glee upon opening it. Disregard the blurriness. And my face. Apparently I was giving directions. And not happily.



Adoption Update

Remember how my big, important dossier was sent to Washington, D.C.? And how I was worried something had somehow gone wrong? That day after that post, the courier service called and said that three of our papers were a couple days over the 6 months date.

Cried my little eyeballs out. Like, my eyes were sore crying. Then I pulled myself up by my bootstraps flip flops and set out to redo those papers. Good friends took my youngings, papers collected, notarized, and mailed. Date pushed back a little. Deep breaths taken.

Pinterest

My last ramble is about that addictive site. It gives the illusion of getting stuff done without anything actually getting done. You spend a bunch of time looking at sites with amazing, healthy dinners in the crock pot and houses full of stenciled wood floors and do-it-yourself lace camisoles. Then you get off the computer and it's back to the reality of Hamburger Helper and sweatpants. It makes me wonder how these women really live. I thought I was doing ok living my life but now I think "My goodness, I've gone a whole day and haven't made one single wreath."






No comments:

Post a Comment