xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: It's like exercise, only worse

Saturday, February 16, 2013

It's like exercise, only worse

People exercise for many reasons and I always want to exercise for good reasons. But sadly, that's not really the case. Do I exercise to live longer? No. Do I exercise to prevent heart disease and diabetes? Nope. Do I hope to be a good role model for my kids? Eh.

I exercise because we have a pool. And live in Florida. And basically live in swimsuits all summer. I'd really like to walk by a mirror in a swimsuit and not think for a second "When did we get a funhouse mirror?"

So my husband's company reimburses for some exercise equipment and I thought I'd give a new Jillian Michaels program a try. I've been working out 6/days a week for the past two weeks.

I know. I'm pretty much amazing.

Ideally I'd get up early and work out before Noah gets up, around 7. That's happened once I think. Between staying up late to finish homework and trudging to Noah's room to pop back in his pacifier at 1 am, the early rising is not going so well these days.

Jack and Kate like to join in too. Which is fine, except they'll talk during the workout like this:

"Why aren't you kicking as high as them?"

"Look at me, look at me, look at me!"

"Why aren't you jumping higher?"

"Why isn't Pluto a planet anymore?"

You can see how this would be difficult.

If Noah is awake, it's pretty much a nightmare. He suddenly decides he loves me and wants to be as close to me as possible.

Jillian will say "Down to the mat for push-ups (and here Noah lays on my back, arms wrapped around my neck)."

"Grab your heaviest weights for biceps curls (he'll either scream and cry to be held or run and grab the weights for him to use)."





"Down to the mat for sit-ups (no problem)."


And she'll tell me things like "Don't tell yourself this is hard, this is easy. This is easy for you."

No, Jillian. It actually is quite hard.

Or when she says at the cool down part "This is your time. It's all about you right now."



Sure doesn't seem like it sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment