xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Adoption Update

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Adoption Update

Oh my goodness you guys. We haven't actually even adopted yet. And yet the amount of ridiculous that's happening right now is...well...um, ridiculous.

The dossier got to my agency today. Warm, fuzzy, happy feelings. My caseworker sent an email saying that everything is in order and she just needs these three little things to get the dossier to China: passport photos (got 'em), photos of family with captions (no problem), and a copy of my and Matt's passport signature page (good feeling's gone). I remember, oh, 8 months ago or so, looking at the dossier checklist from the agency. I vaguely remember the word' passport' on the checklist. The word 'photos' is what stands out. Got the photos.  I got tiny little photos of our heads! Fantastic feeling of accomplishment! My brain filed away passport things until, oh, I don't know, maybe sometime in the spring.

Surprisingly, this system of arbitrarily cataloging dates in my brain has failed.

After I found out, I had to take a break before I called the caseworker and told her about me being a moron. Again. I hate calling the agency, even though it's their job to help us and, well, we're paying them. Even though I really like my agency and they're always very kind, I always imagine the eye-rolling when I call and say things like "Hi, it's Jess again. How are you? I'm sure you're still ok since I called five minutes ago and asked you the same question. At least I hope you're still ok. You sound fine. Anyhoo, just wanted to make sure that I sign my name where it says signature. Should I add my middle initial or it that too fancy?"

I don't envy them their jobs.

Today is my grocery shopping day so while the kids were at their homeschool PE class, I went to the store and contemplated my situation. What happened to Noah while we were at Wal-Mart? That's right, he had diarrhea. I'm not sure what it is about that store. The deli, perhaps?

What I really wanted to have tonight was a glass of wine and some chocolate. But I didn't get anything. Tomorrow morning, when Jillian Michaels says I'm doing a great job, I'm going to believe her.

So our adoption is pushed back again. Our passports were issued as teenagers and have since expired. So now we've got to hurry in and get these passports done and then sit and wait for them. 4-6 weeks, probably.

Our caseworker laughed with me and stated that she really believes that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps our little girl is just not quite "paper ready" yet.

Or perhaps I'm just a total doof.


No comments:

Post a Comment