xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Diapers on the Doormat

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Diapers on the Doormat

We had a friend over for dinner a couple days ago. It's hard when people come over sometimes because the children act like we have never seen another human ever. We're spinning and leaping about and shouting things. If you listen real hard, you might hear the faint sounds of "Look at me! Look at me!" coming from every pore in their bodies. I asked them why they go crazy when people are over and then immediately sit and read quietly after guests have left. Kate said it's because they're used to me being there and it's boring.

I am so sorry you are not constantly entertained. It is breaking my heart.

As in keeping with the tradition that we are overenthusiastic about guests, the kids waited by the road for our guest and danced.


Kate made a nice sign for our guest. 
 I made brownies earlier that day for dessert so my 13x9 pan was out of commission. I put the ground beef in another container but realized halfway through cooking that the breaker to the oven flipped off for no apparent reason. This baby isn't cooking fast enough. So I split it into two pans and cut it into squares. Because for me, presentation is everything.

Darn right that's how I served it.

Then your guest comes over and you notice your kids doing things like this:

Yes. I got a picture before I told him to stop. Parenting high fives all around.




Then today a good friend came over. My goodness how I love her. She is kind and encouraging and full of God's goodness. I was telling her about reading a great article about the importance of obedience in children. Jack had disobeyed me earlier that day so, article in mind, I proceeded to lecture him. Because we all know that lectures are the way to a kid's heart. I don't know why I blab on long after the glassy stare has set in. But I always do. Perhaps deep down I'm expecting my kids to look at me with wide eyes and exclaim "Thank you Mother, you have changed my life. I see the error of my ways. I will always remember this day, the 29th of October..."  Something like that.
This particular lecture was amazing though. It had dramatic pauses, poignant phrases and eye-opening examples. I told Jack that actions always have consequences, good or bad. When you choose to disobey, you're also choosing a consequence. There were examples like running a red light and getting a ticket, throwing a ball up and it falling back to Earth, and even marrying a not-so-great person. I was even inspiring myself. At the end of my lecture, all Jack says is: "You don't have to talk about a ball falling back to Earth. I already know about physics."

It was soul crushing, y'all.

Anyway, I was having a great talk with my friend about obedience and parenting and not being able to keep the house clean (all while my kids are acting like crazed dingoes and the dog fur has given the baseboards a lovely golden hue). Then I opened the front door (probably to yell at somebody) and spot a diaper on the welcome doormat. The dog had apparently gotten a hold of a used one and taken it outside to thrash about and deposit on the front steps. 

Yes, my friend had stood there and knocked on my door, right next to a dirty diaper. 

I lamented this shame to my friend and in keeping with her awesomeness, she said "Who cares?"

She told me to focus on what matters and the rest is just french fries.

Well amen to that.


3 comments:

  1. This post is perfection. I smiled through the entire thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always make me smile! you write the way I talk - but why do all my blogs come off sounding like a school lesson?! LOL Anyway - loved this & will from now on be referring to 'the rest' as 'just french fries'!! -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parenting high fives all around.....hahahahahaha. Oh, and you don't need to pick up any dirty diapers before I come over....psssh, ain't no big thang.

    ReplyDelete