xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: On Science and Faith

Thursday, July 19, 2012

On Science and Faith


My son loves science. Specifically human anatomy (the heart especially gets him all twitterpated), astronomy and physics. Jack is analytical, focused and smart - basically the polar opposite of me (see previous post).

Much of what we read about the universe (or is that capitalized? I suppose there is only one) and physics refers to the Big Bang and evolution. I tread carefully when talking about these things with my six year old. Do I only read and share things that support my beliefs - things that are Christian? Or do I read everything and let the photons fall where they will?

When I was growing up, it was Creation at home and church, Big Bang at school. There rarely seemed a time when faith and science intersected. I remember having a question about evolution in my high school biology class and was told not to question, it was fact - not theory (well, I can't remember the exact wording. High school was a blur of acne and curled bangs).  Thinking about this makes me realize I want more for my children. I want freedom to discuss, to ponder, to question, to argue.  Let's read Genesis and then Origin of Species and then Darwin's Black Box and figure it out together. I have to believe that God is big enough to handle our questions, strong enough to handle our crises of faith. When Jack really became interested in these things, I bought several books. In reading The Universe, I came across the pages describing the Big Bang. I made the decision to read it aloud and not add any commentary. When I was done, Jack asked "So all this (gesturing with his arms to the backyard beyond us) came from an explosion?" I said "Yes, basically, but it began as an explosion in space and over billions of years developed into the planets, sun, and all life on Earth." He furrowed his brow and said "But that doesn't make sense. How can all this come from nothing? What caused the explosion?" So we got to discuss what we believe and why we believe it. I want to give my kids the freedom to discover things, to know that what they believe is truly what they believe and not just what I told them to believe.

One of the quite interesting subjects is particle colliders, specifically the Large Hadron Collider under the Franco-Swiss border (read about it here). Jack and I have been following the news on this since the story broke last October about neutrinos being faster than the speed of light (they're not). Recently there was quite a splash concerning the possible finding of the "God Particle" or the Higgs Boson ( Still Looking for It). It was supposed to confirm the Big Bang by providing mass to other particles. I've read a lot and am still not sure I got it (nobody's too surprised about that, right?). To me it just raises more questions. Where did the Higgs Boson come from? How did it get its mass? This growing confusion is a common theme in science. For every answer found, it creates 10 more questions. Now that I'm not reading government madated textbooks, things seem a bit more truthful. To be honest, no one really knows how exactly the Earth and life in it came to be. There are numerous theories. The carbon dating I read about in high school has quite a few problems, so does the young Earth theory, and the special theory of relativity.

What strikes me most in my reading of non-Christian science material (and not anti-Christian) is a very real sense of desperation. A true scientist is fueled by curiosity, by the pursuit of discovering the as yet unknowable. We want to know who we are, where we came from, and our place in this Universe. There is something in us that searches and hopes for something...anything, that gives us meaning and purpose. We want to know that we matter.

And the more I read the more I see that science and faith intersect quite a bit. And yet there are reasonable things that can't be explained with faith and things of the faith that are beyond reason. Believing in Creation requires faith, believing in the Big Bang requires faith. Believing in God or Allah or Zeus or nothing at all requires faith. Life itself requires faith.

For me, the sheer intricacy of creation speaks to something more. It's all so wonderfully complicated - from our bodies - to cellular design - to photosynthesis - to the laws that govern atoms - to the laws that govern space and time - to our place in the Solar System. Reading about electrons and liver function fills me with wonder. Watching my babies grow taller and speak and reason fills me with wonder. Everywhere I look the glory of the Most High seeps through and in and around.

Science can be summed up as such: Everything is fascinating and none of us, from the least to the greatest, know hardly anything. 

There is a God and He knows my name.

And that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment