xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Should You Go To the ER?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Should You Go To the ER?

As an ER nurse, it seems to me that people are a bit confused as to what is and what is not an emergency. Oftentimes the staff in the ER will just walk around with befuddled expressions based solely on the complaints. I've always thought this was common sense but it occurs to me that perhaps people just don't know. Here is a reference list in case you're thinking of popping in for a bit this afternoon:

-Are you calling ahead to see if there's a long wait? 

-Did you swing by McDonald's on the way to the ER for a snack while you get triaged?

-Are you checking in because someone your friend/family member/significant other is and you're bored so you might as well be seen for that weird toenail thing?

-Will you be reminding the staff that you have groceries in the car or a hair appt to make so they need to hurry it up?

-Is it Monday and you just don't want to go to work?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, it's not an emergency.

On the other hand, here is a list of reasons to head on in there:

-Are you carrying your head in your hands?

-Are your feet pointing behind you while the remainder of your legs face forward?

-Are your internal organs trying to escape?

-Did you meet an ex for lunch and you thought you were just going to get some closure but instead she cackles evilly and states that she has poisoned your wine cooler with the spit of a thousand rabid weasels?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, it is an emergency.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Sincerely,

 Your friendly neighborhood ER staff








2 comments:

  1. This is Ginny. I secretly stalk your blog and laugh histerically every time I read it. You are a very gifted writer.

    I have my own story to share. When I was 20 weeks pregnant with Austin my water broke. It was 4 am and I drove myself to the er and checked myself in. I did not look pregnant yet (it was a very weird pregnancy) and I am pretty sure they thought I was looney. They kept asking me how far along I was and when I said 20 weeks they would say not how many days, how many weeks? Then they checked me and I was completely dry and showed no signs of my water breaking. They pretty much laughed me out of there. I was so embarrassed. Part of me wishes I could go back and tell them that they were wrong and I am really not a crazy person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginny! Thanks for your kind words. You could always go back holding Austin up and yelling "I'm not crazy!" I think that would prove your point nicely.

    ReplyDelete