xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: Adoption Update

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Adoption Update

Some exciting stuff happening on this front. We started this process in May. Well, Mayish. I think. Some adoptive parents have all their dates lined up - when they applied, when homestudy was complete, etc. All I know for sure is that we started last year. Between Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Anyway, up until now it's basically been paperwork. Signing my name on countless forms and countless checks. Trying to remember where I lived from 1986-1988. That sort of thing. Our child was an enigma - her face all fuzzy in my dreams. The big trip to China was so far in advance that I forgot about it for long periods of time.

Remember this update? With that big crazy stack of papers that were being sent to China? After the passport fiasco, we finally got our dossier sent to China. In the adoption world, this is known as DTC (Documents to China). Our wonderful agent called me on Good Friday (April 29) to let me know the papers were officially on their way - we were DTC. It was a lovely, lovely feeling.

We celebrated by going to a local Chinese buffet. And decided to make it a yearly thing - Good Friday at a Chinese restaurant.

The kids got their food at the buffet. They both came back with cubes of red jello and exclaimed "We love Chinese food!" Um...no.




Our server spoke good English with a slight Chinese accent. After she took our order, Kate said in a bit of a panic "I can't understand what she's saying!" We had the same problem with Jack and the southern accent. When he was about 3 or 4, we were talking to some friends with a boy Jack's age. Their son said "Bye!" but it sounded like "Biiiii!" Jack asked what he said and I said "He told us 'bye' but with a southern accent so it sounds a little different." Jack found it hilarious and said "biiiii!" all the time for days. That was fun.

As we were leaving the Chinese buffet, I had the great idea to take a picture and save the fortunes for a scrapbook page and then we could make one every Good Friday. I ran back to the table to get the fortunes but they were already on the plates, soaking up soy sauce.

And this is our picture that Matt took:


Matt's head cut off, the top of the big kids' head, Noah with a finger in his mouth, me the only one focused and smiling. It's a keeper! Good memories, everyone.

Much, much more to come on the adoption front...

And now for something stupid that I did recently. You know you were wondering.

So I'm taking classes for my Bachelor in Nursing and we had to do a power point presentation. Groups of two took on a chapter and then we all presented them to the class. My partner did her slides and I went up with her, assuming my slides were next. She finished and I began reading.

You know, I wondered about those slides. I didn't remember wording things quite that way but heck, it was like two weeks ago. Who remembers things they did that long ago?

I got through a couple slides, one of my classmates mouthing things to me the entire time. Goodness sakes, can't you wait til I'm done? How rude. I didn't try to talk to you during your presentation, geez.

Finally she stands up and states that I'm reading her slides.

Who reads someone else's project and doesn't really realize anything is amiss?

Yup, it's me.


No comments:

Post a Comment