xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: China Day 11 - A Very Strange Lunch Indeed

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

China Day 11 - A Very Strange Lunch Indeed

We walked around Guangzhou ourselves today (without our guide, I mean). Walking into one of the clothing stores, a woman got my attention and said "You Monica? You Monica?"

No, but I could see how you mistook me for Courtney Cox. Happens all the time.

After a couple seconds of me grinning like an idiot, my brain kicked in and I realized that she was asking if I was American.

Oh...um, yeah. That too.

We went to lunch off the recommendation of someone on my adoption group. It was called Honey Go and had an outline of a dog next to the name of the restaurant. Needless to say, we walked in with no trepidation at all.

The menu had a bunch of unrelated things on it: Udon noodles, spaghetti, pork chops, fried rice, etc. That's never a good sign. It means the restaurant can't commit to anything and the result is that nothing is good. We got three glasses of tepid water placed before us, one with what looked like a piece of rice floating in it. They were pushed to the end of the table pretty fast, so no one (meaning Jack) took a sip without thinking about it.

I got spaghetti with cheese, which meant a piece of American cheese placed on top. Matt got fish. It came with a little pile of spaghetti and a poorly fried egg. To fancy things up, a little cherry tomato was placed in the corner of the plate, crudely cut into a flower by whom I can only assume is the cook's toddler.

Matt was satisfied with this face so here it is. Also, please appreciate the tomato. Someone
put the bare minimum amount of effort into it.

The Coke was the best part. Perfectly chilled.

We played a game of Go Fish while waiting for our food and during that time, a couple with a baby sat down next to us. The man spoke a little English so we talked about our little ones. After chit chat for a few minutes, he points to Talitha and says "She looks like Chinese baby."
Son of a gun, you're right.

He was nothing if not astute. Matt told me after we left that he should have slowly turned to me and said with a hint of anger "She does look Chinese."

Well, I did go to Chinatown once and it was awfully dark...


After a nap and some pool time, we headed out again. The people who clean the streets here wear these traditional Chinese peasant hats. That just seems like rubbing it in.

"Clean up the trash and make sure you wear a peasant hat while you're at it. Don't even think about a baseball cap."


So that basically our day. Here are a few funny things that were said today:

This morning I told Matt I was having cramps. Jack quickly said "Hey, can I have one too?"

Matt and Jack were joking around and Jack said "Where did you come from?"

Matt shot back "Your mom."

After a second he realized how terrifically awkward that statement was and we laughed for awhile about it. Jack was quick to point out which mom Matt actually came from. 

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me smile :) Blessings on the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete