xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> On the Edge of Beautiful: China Day 3 - Gotcha and Adoption Day

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

China Day 3 - Gotcha and Adoption Day

I sat here for a few minutes with my fingers on the keyboard, just trying to figure out how to word the enormity of this post.

We met and adopted Talitha today. A couple workers at the orphanage brought her to the hotel this morning. They were wonderful. Smiling and sweet, they seemed to truly care for her and constantly led her to us.







She never once cried. It took her a few minutes to warm up to us but really and truly, she just seems to fit. She loves Jack, as many younger kids do. She squeals and laughs whenever she sees him and he's spent so much time today laughing with her and holding her. They have a fast bond.




We had some down time with her before we went to our official adoption appointment. She ate some food (although we had to take it away because she seemed to want to overeat). She easily fell asleep next to me after lunch for about 45 minutes. After that, we drove to the Civil Affairs office to make the adoption legal under China law.


During the appointment, the one of the women from the orphanage (the one in the blue dress) remarked on how happy Tali was with us. She told our guide that they believe we have a special bond and that we were determined by fate to be together, something that is made by God.

We simply nodded, and I could tell Matt was as overcome by the wording as I was.

She was happy enough with me earlier in the day and snuggled with me. During the adoption appointment, she became a Daddy's girl. She fussed when I held her and calmed when Matt did. Matt did a lot of smirking at me over her head. It's the same with all my kids. I do all the work for them and they shower Matt with adoration and love. It's sickening, really.


We came home and ate a light dinner, again having to ration Talitha's food intake. She is skinny, much smaller than they recently told me. I really thought she was around 9 months in clothing, even though the orphanage workers told me 18-24 months. She is 9 months in clothes, except she will need smaller bottoms and diapers than I originally thought. Her wrists and ankles are rail thin and the 6-12 month leather Robeez shoes I brought are way too big for her ankle. This girl needs good food. We know her orphanage is very poor and she eats mostly rice.

I gave Talitha a bath and closely inspected her. She has a generalized rash but I'm not certain whether it's something like scabies or something benign like heat rash. We'll just have to see. She also has mongolian spots on her tush, which was not a big surprise.

We got her in a pair of sleeper pajamas, probably the first she's ever had.

She's sleeping peacefully between me and Matt now and we are so thankful for all of your prayers and support.


Today we adopted Talitha Ruby. Today God's love was made manifest in our lives. Today beauty has burst forth from the ashes of a young life. Today hope shouts in victory. Today there are 147 million orphans in the world...minus one.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I am truly blessed by reading this today! Many prayers to your family and God bless you all! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for your family! Can't wait to meet Tali on my next visit to Celebration.

    Godspeed,
    Alison Voorhees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know you are blessed! The greatest victories come after difficult struggles. We studied "The Patience of Job", last Sunday in Sunday school. Believe you have been there. Thanks, for letting us be a part of your victory. Keeping you in thoughts & prayers.
    Randall

    ReplyDelete